Feed on

Manor Market fire, 1985

On Dec. 28, 1985, the Maxinkuckee Village lost one of the last vestiges of its formerly active business community, the Manor Market at the northeast corner of East Shore Drive and 18B Road, to fire.

The market, known in the 1930s as Van’s, changed its name to R & J circa 1947. Apartments were also added, of the same name. In 1964, the store became Manor Market. Firemen were unable to save either structure, at 1355 East Shore Drive, in the wintertime fire in 1985, and the location remains a vacant lot today.

Leave a Reply