Feed on

On Oct. 21, 1978, Lake Shore Lanes bowling alley and the coffee shop accompanying, located at 620 Lake Shore Drive, burned to the ground in a spectacular fire. Dating back to 1953, Jim and Mary Dewitt had owned the bowling alley, which was sold in 1977 to Don and Juliemae Neidlinger. The fire call came in around 1:45 p.m. and firefighters worked until 10 p.m., with damage estimated at $500,000. The blaze, which was fought by Culver and several surrounding fire departments, was believed to have started in the fryer in the kitchen. Earlier in the 1970s, a small fire in the restaurant did some damage, but was put out in time to save the building and businesses.

Leave a Reply